Re: local mirror/ copy of standards

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> I want to have a local mirror on my laptop of the current
> recommendations.
>
> When I run wget, it seems to be traversing and getting multiple copies
> of the same documents - perhaps the site is set up with links, but wget
> doesn't know this.
>
> I know things are updated regularly, but I am in Vanuatu and my download
> costs are really high, and so I want to be able to read while offline.
> It is pretty frustrating for me at the moment.
>
> If there is such a thing as a download tarball of the site - or even for
> different groups of documents/ standards, that would be really, really
> appreciated.

Hello Zenaan,

Certain W3C tech report editors make available packages for
offline reading. However, W3C does not make available a big
package of stuff (e.g., all Recommendations). We've talked
about that in the past but not pursued it for a number of
reasons.

Do you have access to a tool (e.g., wwwoffle [1]) that will
do caching of style sheets, etc. for you? I myself have
not used such tools extensively, but they should be more
convenient than individual GET requests.

  _ Ian

[1] http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/wwwoffle/

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447