Re: site usability

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:19:34 -0400
To: Lorraine Johnson <lorraine.johnson@elektrobit.com>
Cc: "'site-comments@w3.org'" <site-comments@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 17, 2001, Lorraine Johnson wrote:
> I'm trying to sort out the similarities and differences between cHTML, HDML,
> WML, and XHTML Basic.  I know that cHTML and HDML are not W3C
> Recommendations, but you *do* have descriptive documents on your site.
> Every time I want to check a point, though, I have to go through a
> convoluted process of finding the papers again.  (Yes, I've bookmarked them,
> but sometimes what I remember reading is in a related page.)  I expect to
> find links under HTML or Mobile, but no luck.

	Typing HDML in our search box in our home page gives me this

with links to:
and 	http://www.w3.org/Submission/1997/5/Comment.html

	Typing compactHTML (aka cHTML) in the same search box:

with link to http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-compactHTML-19980209/

By the way, knowing that cHTML is related to XHTML basic, I can find
this link at http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/#a_refs the references for
XHTML Basic.

> Just because a paper isn't a Recommendation, doesn't mean that people don't
> want to access it.  The whole point of the Web is to link related resources
> for clear and easy access.  It would be great if the main categories (your
> left-hand list) could link to all related resources (even if they're not
> approved).  If not that, then at least some kind of site map which lists the
> available papers.

	We have a list of all our published technical reports available

As you may see, this list is already very long and it wouldn't make
sense to display all these references on our home page.

> Considering that accessibility is a strong point with the W3C, it's very
> frustrating to find your site so difficult to navigate.

	We are always looking for making our site better: the task is
really not easy as our site is really big, but any advices are very

Best regards,

Dominique Hazaėl-Massieux - http://www.w3.org/People/Dom/
W3C's Webmaster at MIT
mailto:dom@w3.org - tel: +1-617-258-8143