site usability

From: Lorraine Johnson <lorraine.johnson@elektrobit.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:00:05 -0400 (EDT)
To: "'site-comments@w3.org'" <site-comments@w3.org>
I'm trying to sort out the similarities and differences between cHTML, HDML,
WML, and XHTML Basic.  I know that cHTML and HDML are not W3C
Recommendations, but you *do* have descriptive documents on your site.
Every time I want to check a point, though, I have to go through a
convoluted process of finding the papers again.  (Yes, I've bookmarked them,
but sometimes what I remember reading is in a related page.)  I expect to
find links under HTML or Mobile, but no luck.

Just because a paper isn't a Recommendation, doesn't mean that people don't
want to access it.  The whole point of the Web is to link related resources
for clear and easy access.  It would be great if the main categories (your
left-hand list) could link to all related resources (even if they're not
approved).  If not that, then at least some kind of site map which lists the
available papers.

Considering that accessibility is a strong point with the W3C, it's very
frustrating to find your site so difficult to navigate.

Lorraine Johnson
Senior Software Engineer
Elektrobit Inc.
v: (425) 445-1898