Re: DISCLAIMER (was Re: [CfP] Journal of Web Semantics (JWS) - Special Issue on Ontology Engineering)

On 2017-08-07 13:51, Krzysztof Janowicz wrote:
> I guess I am totally missing the point (and sorry for that) but I do not
> understand why this is about HTML versus LaTeX instead of being about
> different paradigms of academic publishing. These two issues are related
> but not the same. I want to change scientific publishing in terms of the
> workflows, not the representation layer.

At least to me, it was never really about a format war even though we
get pulled into that discussion pretty quickly.

It was always about freedom of expression, free culture,
decentralisation, interoperability, access,... in scholarly
communication at least within or starting with the SW community.

That is precisely why https://linkedresearch.org/ organically emerged.
Linked Research *is* a proposed paradigm, and it is not confined to
publishing articles. Some even mistaken that it is just an HTML thing.
LR works on a layer higher. It doesn't claim to have all the answers nor
does it dictate exactly which technology should be used for everyone. It
is an open call to move things forward. See the acid tests etc..

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i