Re: DISCLAIMER (was Re: [CfP] Journal of Web Semantics (JWS) - Special Issue on Ontology Engineering)

I dont see this in terms of enemies and friends (us vs publishers). this is
quiet simply a business relation, nothing more nothing else. you pay in a
market where there are options offering goods and services with a clear
differentiator; a market that moves forward by giving u choices, better
services, improved goods, etc. True, 300 years is a long time, and in this
long time we have seen the greatest innovation of all times (the internet)
impacting everything, including government, but.... not at all academic
publications. the greatest innovation we have seen in academic publication
has been.... well, now we get to see the PDF online and a version of HTML
that is just as static (of course there are hyperlinks).

What is the incentive for publishers to innovate if we scholars dont pay
for quality and/or innovative products?  We expect above all a strict
review process that warranties reproducibility (when ever possible and
achievable), a reliable archival, strong dissemination so that our work has
more impact, etc. however, out of all we need/want/desire/expect, we get
pennies on the dollar. the innovation is just not there. the business is so
corrupt that now we get to publish posters and ideas and pay APCs for that.
But, this is not on the publishers, this is on us.

I raised this before at ESWC2017 asking if we wanted to have a pre print
server that we could control.  *No journal is a pre print no matter whether
it is "open" or not.*   For a community to take control of shaping its own
communications a pre print under the control of the community as a place
where to implement all the technical innovations that are needed is a good
option.

It is not just about the representation layer. it goes far deeper than
that. today we pay for a representation layer that does not work. tomorrow,
the way things are going, we will pay for the same but with the added cost
on us that we will also have to pay for access to objects that facilitate
reproducibility and/or reusability. If a community really wants to take
control of the communication system then the community will have to take
action and once again I think that a pre print is a good first step in this
direction. So *once again*, why dont  we have a pre print server where to
experiment with all of these wonders instead of keep  complaining about the
publishers? BTW, publishers have a fiduciary responsibility towards their
investors, not one facing the research community. we researchers have a
moral responsibility towards us. so why dont we walk the walk instead of
keep just talking the talk?

where is John Galt in all of this?

--
Alexander Garcia