Re: DISCLAIMER (was Re: [CfP] Journal of Web Semantics (JWS) - Special Issue on Ontology Engineering)

I dont mean to say that this is the solution but I certainly believe this
is a step forward in walking the walk.

the idea is simple, there are pre prints for communities, arxiv is one
where computer scientists have also been submitting. now, because it is
wide in scope it makes it hard for the community to consider it a community
resource. why dont we setup and run a pre print server for sw and ontos.

I recently came across a new service being offered by the Center for Open
Science, https://cos.io/our-products/osf-preprints/ <
https://cos.io/our-products/osf-preprints/>

<https://cos.io/our-products/osf-preprints/> They host preprint servers for
free. They take care of the technology and the hardware. On the tech side,
they run the server, admin it, and provide all the tech stack that is
needed for starting and maintaining a pre print server. They dont charge
for hardware. if we want to experiment we can easily do so because the
software stack is open and they are also open to innovation.

Those partnering with them in running a pre print server have to take care
of building the community.

would you like to join me in the steering committee for this endeavor?
 Needless
to say that if it doesn't work we anyway dont lose anything -other than our
time and shattered dreams (if we still have anything close to it).

if you have questions let me know; below a brief FAQ.

        - what is their "business" model (if any)?  = what do they gain
with the free service they provide?

COS is a non profit, funded by several foundations.

        - how big is expected to be the community that needs to be built?

no expectations at this point because this is the first time they (COS) are
doing this.

        - how much time/effort you estimate the steering committee would
need to invest?

that depends on each one of us and how we plan the activities. the steering
committee should spread the word so that people submit their pre prints.
this is the fundamental activity, there is no other hands on activity, no
technical involvement of any kind. we will also have to approach journals
and conferences so that they encourage authors to submit to this pre print
server

        - how many members should be part of this steering committee?

no limit. but usually u have anywhere between 10 to 15

        - How many members/researchers should get enrolled?

as many as possible but this depends on researchers submitting their pre
prints. bear in mind this is a pre print service so the involvement of
researchers is very specific.

        - Is there any IP aspect to take into account/discuss with COS?

no, everything is open. they provide the code, infrastructure ,etc so no IP
issues here.

        - Do you have an example of such a community? (that is ideally
active).

well, as a pre print service the best example would be https://arxiv.org <
https://arxiv.org/>  but this is a bit different because they have to take
care of running their own infrastructure. in this case COS would taking
care of that.

        - is there any similar solution/service/server already initiated by
others?

No that I know of. there is agrixiv that is a preprint for papers in
agriculture.  in our case we want to be specific -semantic web and
ontologies

        - what are the timelines and milestones you would see in this
setting up in COS?

not that I am aware of. as I said before, this is the first time they are
doing this so little experience from both sides.

        - Who else would be in the steering committee? is the only
organisational group that is needed?

|we should have a steering committee, how many? no more than 15 and no less
than 7 AFAIK. However, these are just my numbers because COS doesnt have a
minimum or max number for this.

        - what would be the first results we might expect to get if we bet
for it?

get people to know the service and submit.

        - do we have an initial set of papers that we could populate into
it?

we should, we should have an initial set of people submitting their papers
so that it does not start empty. but the number is low, 10. so nothing that
we cant do.

--
Alexander Garcia
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alexander_Garcia