Template language for SPARQL?

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 21:45:10 -0400
To: semantic-web <semantic-web@w3.org>
[Resending, as my previous message never showed up.]

I would like to be able to write something like this:

  SELECT ?s
  WHERE { ?s a ${CLASS} . }

and have ${CLASS} substituted in from an environment variable or other
parameter, but SPARQL does not currently provide anything like this, and
it's clearly beyond what the working group could put in SPARQL 1.1.
So I'm wondering . . .

What have others been using as a template language for SPARQL?

I know TopQuadrant uses an RDF representation for SPARQL CONSTRUCT
queries in conjunction with SPIN,
http://www.w3.org/Submission/2011/02/
but it shreds the SPARQL query into tiny RDF pieces, which is rather
unfriendly for a human to read.  It would be much nicer to have
something like the above.

How are others handling the need to parameterize their SPARQL queries
like this?

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
http://dbooth.org/