Re: Template language for SPARQL?

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 22:11:35 +0100
To: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
CC: semantic-web <semantic-web@w3.org>
If one views the WHERE clause of a SPARQL query as a kind of template, it seems
a bit superfluous to have a template format for making templates.

Something I've been using to good effect is the variable pre-binding mechanism
provided by Python rdflib, mentioned by Gunnar Aastrand Grimnes, but
unfortunately that doesn't help when submitting a SPARQL query via SPARQL
protocol.  I've been able to simulate the effect of pre-binding variables (but
not the desired efficiency) buy doing a post-query join with the predefined
variables.  I didn't fully comprehend the proposals that Andy Seaborne
mentioned, but it seems then may provide a similar capability.

Ideally, I'd like to specify variable pre-bindings without having to pick apart
the query with which they will be used, e.g. to construct a modified query, but
I think that would require an extension to the SPARQL HTTP protocol rather than
the query language.

#g