Re: Vocabulary re-use

Martin Hepp (UniBW) wrote:

> Also note that many things may be possible with an existing ontology as
> it stands, so a novel requirement may just be a request for a recipe.
>
> This is why I started maintaining a "cookbook" of GoodRelations recipes at:
>
> http://tr.im/cookbook
>
> All of the following scenarios, and likely many more, require no
> modifications of the existing ontology specification :-)
>
>    * Recipe 1: GoodRelations and Yahoo SearchMonkey: How site owners can
> use GoodRelations for Yahoo! SearchMonkey (status: mature)
>    * Recipe 2: GoodRelations and Google: Proposed patterns, currently
> under review for compliance by Google (status: mature)
>    * Recipe 3: Minimal Example: Describing your business, stores, and
> opening hours (status: to be completed)
>    * Recipe 4: Simple Example: Minimal example plus a broad description
> of what you offer plus payment and deliveryoptions (status: to be
> completed)
>    * Recipe 5: Comprehensive Example: Describing individual products or
> services including prices etc. (status: to be completed)
>    * Recipe 6: Comprehensive Example with DBpedia: Same as recipe 5, but
> using DBpedia URIs for more precision (status: to be completed)
>    * Recipe 7: Comprehensive Example with eClassOWL: Same as recipe 5,
> but using eClassOWL for more precision (status: to be completed)
>    * Recipe 8: Comprehensive Example with Catalog Groups: Same as recipe
> 5, but exposing your catalog groups as a taxonomy for more precision
> (status: to be completed)
>    * Recipe 9: Datasheets / Product model data: Example of sharing
> product model master data (status: pretty mature)
>    * Recipe 10: Search and Matchmaking: SPARQL queries on GoodRelations
> data (status: to be completed)
>    * Recipe 11: Publishing GoodRelations Data on the Web: How to make
> your GoodRelations data known and used (status: mature)
>    * Recipe 12: Converting XML Catalog Data: A round-tripping example of
> deriving GoodRelations data from a merchant's XML catalog file (status:
> to be completed)
>    * Recipe 13: Attaching Reviews: Combining GoodRelations with product
> review data (status: to be completed)
>    * Recipe 14: EAN/UPC Codes: Retrieving product labels for EAN/UPC
> codes (status: pretty mature)
>    * Recipe 15: Fetching Product Model Master Data: Retrieving product
> model specifications from the Web (status: pretty mature)
>    * Recipe 16: Example for a Restaurant: Describing a restaurant or
> café (status: to be completed)
>    * Recipe 17: Example for a Hotel: Describing a hotel (status: to be
> completed)
>    * Recipe 18: Car Maintenance, Repair, or Service: Describing the
> offer to repair cars or other goods (status: to be completed)
>    * Recipe 19: Car, Bike, or Boat Rental: Describing the offer to rent
> out cars or other goods (status: to be completed)
>    * Recipe 20: Providing a Service: Describing the offer to provide a
> certain service (haircutting, etc.)(status: to be completed)
> [...]

Thanks, Martin.  These recipes are excellent.  Honestly, good
documentation seems to be lacking from many published vocabularies.  In
addition to usage examples, it might also be helpful to data publishers
to have instructions on how to extend the vocabulary, e.g. a list of
easily extendable properties like foaf:knows, where an ontology
developer can neatly define relationships between agents that are
specific to their domain.

Aaron

--
Aaron Rubinstein