Re: parsing purl.org/media/video

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> On 7 Jun 2009, at 21:28, Manu Sporny wrote:
>
>> I have been meaning to have a conversation with the PURL team about how
>> they do URL re-writing for top-level directories.
>
> They're in the process of switching the software they use to power the
> purl.org service. (Which seems to be taking a ridiculously long time to
> do.) It'd probably be more productive for you to speak to the people at
> purlz.org, who are developing the new software, than those at purl.org.

Here's the response from Tom Dehn - not exactly what we were looking
for... I'll respond to him, cc'ing each of you, when I get some time
this week.

Tom Dehn wrote:

We are in the process of implementing a new purl server, so no changes
can be made to the server at this time.

We probably cannot introduce new rules in the old or the new server,
because we have no way to know how they will effect the approximately
6000 users of the purl server.

Is the any significance the "#" character on the purls in this email?
That trailing "#" character is ignore by the purl server.

There is a purl http://purl.org/media/, that is a partial redirect.

There are also individual purls for:
http://purl.org/media/audio
and
http://purl.org/media/video

These seem to be in conflict with use of the partial redirect.
I am not sure you fully understand the use of partials.

Creating the partial http://purl.org/media/, eliminates the need to
create individual purls for "video" or "audio".

Appending "audio", "video" to the end of the partial will be resolved.

Wait until we move to the new server, and it will be easier to resolve
any of your problems.

Tom Dehn
Office of Research
OCLC Inc.