Re: Tool for Creating UML Class Diagrams from OWL Ontologies?

Thanks Paul,

Martin -- we have an add-in to IBM Rational Rose we sell that supports
OWL 1 now, and are
alpha testing our second generation capability for OWL 2 in No Magic's
MagicDraw UML tool
at present.  It has been developed entirely in Eclipse (though MagicDraw
is not built on
Eclipse -- it has an interface to it), and uses the OWL API from the
University of Manchester.
We have also integrated Pellet, though we're still thinking about what
it would mean to show
issues Pellet finds in terms of consistency, etc. in the context of a
UML diagram.

All of the diagrams are editable and ODM-compliant - we attempt to keep
you from "shooting
yourself in the foot" through rules that augment our custom diagrams,
but you can also create other
kinds of UML diagrams, add stereotypes from other profiles for various
purposes (/e.g/., SysML,
Java, etc.), reuse the terminology you've specified in your ontology in
other UML models through
package imports, etc., as you would with any UML profile.

We're planning to release the beta version later this summer through the
MagicDraw site.  Ports
to other UML tools are planned, but not likely before next year.  Parts
of the work will also be
released through the Eclipse MDT project as open source, but probably
not until next year, as we
are still ironing out a few bugs in the ODM 1.0 through the 1.1 revision
task force at OMG, and
would rather not incur the support overhead until the profiles are
fairly stable.

Please feel free to contact me off list, and I would be delighted to
share more.

Best regards,

Elisa