Re: foaf history presentation

"FOAF - the most used ontology in the history of the universe. How the hell
did that happen?".

With all my good sense of humor, it is carried to extremes:).

It might be a right time to announce that the Standard Ontology and
Semantics (SOS) Report is to be published on the site:
http://www.standardontology.org. There one can find a special chapter,
titled "Standard Ontology and Semantic Web: The World-Web Mapping". I
remember a raw draft was sent to TBL, but todays nobody reads or references
somebody's other works.

Additionally to the objective analysis of all key SW projects, as the formal
languages and vocabularies and datasets, there are some encouraging words on
foaf, which might be valuable to heed for prospective projects:

"There is an interesting RDF application, known as FOAF (a Friend of a
Friend), which specific vocabulary, categories, classes or types, properties
and relationships (see below), characteristic for people, are introduced
with the namespace URI 'http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/'. The project is intended
to create a machine-readable semantic ontology for homepages of agents,
persons, people,companies, organization, or groups, and how they may be
related to each other, by using human class URI's and property
(relationship)  URIs, like as foaf:know or foaf:name or foaf:
membershipclass or foaf:depiction. However interesting, many social
relationships of humans are missing, like as a relational hierarchy of
standardontology:relationship > standardontology:friendship >
standardontology:trust. Besides the key construct foaf:person is very poorly
described, which is best to be replaced with standardontology:person.

The project is viewed as a forerunner of a semantic stage in the web
development, the Giant Global Graph, or the Semantic Web, assuming that the
Web is no more about computers or documents or data, but more about real
things in the world and their complex relationships, what calls for working
out the normative ontology and semantics of world  resources."

Azamat Abdoullaev

http://semanticwww.com