Re: Managing Co-reference (Was: A Semantic Elephant?)

From: Frederick Giasson <fred@fgiasson.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 07:25:21 -0400
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: Michael F Uschold <uschold@gmail.com>, Yves Raimond <yves.raimond@gmail.com>, Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@cnr.it>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Sören Auer <auer@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, Semantic Web Interest Group <semantic-web@w3.org>, Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>, Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, "Fabian M. Suchanek" <f.m.suchanek@gmail.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@csail.mit.edu>, Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>, Mark Greaves <markg@vulcan.com>, georgi.kobilarov@gmx.de, Jens Lehmann <lehmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, Michael Bergman <mike@mkbergman.com>, Conor Shankey <cshankey@reinvent.com>, Kira Oujonkova <koujonkova@reinvent.com>

Hi Jeremy,

> So, on the example of:
> [[
> a city as from Cyc to a wikipedia article of that city
> ]]
> a list of all such correspondences, between Cyc and wikipedia, might
> be a great thing to have in a mash-up, and by all means use owl:sameAs.
> But keep that list in a separate graph from other data, and I can load
> it for a mash-up, and not for a different application in which such
> loose thinking is not appropriate. Also, the more metadata we provide
> about the metadata we provide, the easier it will be for applications
> to make such choices, so being able to label a graph of somewhat dodgy
> equivalences, as a graph of somewhat dodgy equivalences, in a
> vocabulary that had sufficent deployment, would help.

I really like your answers and thinking here.

It is for that reason that I always say that the linkage between umbel
subject concepts and external ontologies classes belong to umbel's
world. So, the inferencing between all subject concepts and external
ontologies classes is consistent within umbel (at least, we try to keep
it consistent ;) ). You use it if it fits your needs; you forget about
it otherwise. So, umbel has its own representation of the World,  but it
is not the only representation of this same World :)

Thanks!

Take care,

Fred