Re: Managing Co-reference (Was: A Semantic Elephant?)

Contribute to recap. Very useful discussion indeed.

Issue 1: managing to suggest the rationale of owl:sameAs
appropriately, i.e. in a harmless way for future usages (Aldo, Michael)
Issue 2: distinguishing "data provision" vs. "representational" usages
of owl:sameAs (Yves)
Issue 3: need for another operator, e.g. representing equality under a
closed set of properties (Geoff, Harry), or some relaxed rdfs:sameAs
(Jim)
  Issue 3a: using another existing relation, such as skos:related or
rdfs:seeAlso, but these are either too weak (rdfs:seeAlso), or
constrained (skos:related)
Issue 4: need for a semiotic grasp over co-reference, maybe outside
formal semantics (Bernard, Peter)

On issue (1), it seems that either most people agree, or they tend to
prefer a discussion on issue (2), i.e. that when data provision is the
intended usage,
the referential vagueness introduced by owl:sameAs in many cases is
not harmful, but an advantage. As Hugh puts it: "we consider
coreference as more knowledge about things, which can be represented
in the SW, and can be used by applications if and when they see fit.
And as someone said, there is no truth, only opinions.
So we need an infrastructure for opinions, but that is the SW."

But at this point, others switch to issue (3), and say (including me)
that, if this is the case, it would be better to choose/define a
different operator that ensures a safe semantics, instead of relying
on an actual identity operator like owl:sameAs.
Finally, some nasty :) semioticians subtly suggest that we need some
way out of formal semantics, in order to represent a kind of
"similarity semantics". As Peter puts it: "Everyone talks about
meaning without saying what it is they are trying to achieve by
agreeing on a formal meaning".

My position, which I had when proposing the thread, is that we need to
use things as efficiently as possible, without creating areas for
useless wrong inferences.
Another operator would be perfect, but (as Michael, Geoff, Harry
require) it should provide the user with some serious features,
comparable to what owl:sameAs does. Therefore, we need to talk about
similarity, equality, etc. at the metalevel, just as owl:sameAs does,
since it is a relation in the logical vocabulary of OWL, not a
relation from a specific ontology.
Most problems of co-referencing and identity seem to arise from the
collapsing of the distinction between entities and information that
denotes those entities (as noticed by Bernard, Harry, Aldo), be it
dependent on some "meaning" or not. The metalevel we need to address
is therefore the semiotic one, as correctly pointed in this discussion.

My proposal is that such metalevel is not necessarily "outside formal
semantics", and some work from my group and elsewhere is proceeding in
the direction of a reconciliation between a semiotic, social meaning,
and the formal encoding of meaning.

Aldo