Re: Managing Co-reference (Was: A Semantic Elephant?)

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 21:41:40 -0400
To: Kendall Grant Clark <kendall@clarkparsia.com>
CC: Michael F Uschold <uschold@gmail.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Sören Auer <auer@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>, Frank van Harmelen <frank.van.harmelen@cs.vu.nl>, Semantic Web Interest Group <semantic-web@w3.org>, "Fabian M. Suchanek" <f.m.suchanek@gmail.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@csail.mit.edu>, jim hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>, Mark Greaves <markg@vulcan.com>, "georgi.kobilarov" <georgi.kobilarov@gmx.de>, Jens Lehmann <lehmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Frederick Giasson <fred@fgiasson.com>, Michael Bergman <mike@mkbergman.com>, Conor Shankey <cshankey@reinvent.com>, Kira Oujonkova <koujonkova@reinvent.com>, Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@istc.cnr.it>, Ivan Mikhailov <iv@openlinksw.com>, Orri Erling <oerling@openlinksw.com>, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>

Kendall Grant Clark wrote:
> Excerpts from Kingsley Idehen's message of Wed May 14 16:08:39 -0400 2008:

Kendall
>> Okay, the JDBC bit is good, and we can easily test Owlgres against
>> Virtuoso JDBC.  But of course, we end up with the obvious question: Why
>> are we using JDBC to talk to a DBMS engine equipped with a Quad Store?
>>

> I don't know, Kingsley, why are you doing that?
I am not doing that.

My point was, you referred to JDBC which lead to my comment.

Look, we are going round in circles here.

I simply wanted to know why your application was DBMS specific.
> We're *not* doing that
> presently, so it's not a super interesting question for *us*. YMMV.
>

>> We've been through this re. recent work relating to new Model Providers
>> for Sesame, Jena, and Redland (all of which offer SQL DBMS and Graph
>> Model persistence  APIs).
>>

> Okay, I guess I'm just not clever enough to realize what anything you all have
> been doing with those systems has anything to do with what we're doing?

I think you are. But I guess I could have been clearer.

I simply wanted you to clarify the APIs (SQL or RDF) that you are using
in your app so I can actually assess your response to Orri's post about
Virtuoso, and even better, correlate all of this with the ping I
received from Alan about Owlgres etc..

Anyway, I think we can close this whole thread. I can find get these
answers for myself once I have time to look at little closer at what
you've implemented.

--

Regards,

President & CEO