Re: Managing Co-reference (Was: A Semantic Elephant?)

From: Kendall Grant Clark <kendall@clarkparsia.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 16:35:18 -0400
Cc: Michael F Uschold <uschold@gmail.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Sören Auer <auer@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>, Frank van Harmelen <frank.van.harmelen@cs.vu.nl>, Semantic Web Interest Group <semantic-web@w3.org>, Fabian M. Suchanek <f.m.suchanek@gmail.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@csail.mit.edu>, jim hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>, Mark Greaves <markg@vulcan.com>, georgi.kobilarov <georgi.kobilarov@gmx.de>, Jens Lehmann <lehmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Frederick Giasson <fred@fgiasson.com>, Michael Bergman <mike@mkbergman.com>, Conor Shankey <cshankey@reinvent.com>, Kira Oujonkova <koujonkova@reinvent.com>, Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@istc.cnr.it>, Ivan Mikhailov <iv@openlinksw.com>, Orri Erling <oerling@openlinksw.com>, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>

Excerpts from Kingsley Idehen's message of Wed May 14 16:08:39 -0400 2008:

> Okay, the JDBC bit is good, and we can easily test Owlgres against
> Virtuoso JDBC.  But of course, we end up with the obvious question: Why
> are we using JDBC to talk to a DBMS engine equipped with a Quad Store?

I don't know, Kingsley, why are you doing that? We're *not* doing that
presently, so it's not a super interesting question for *us*. YMMV.

> We've been through this re. recent work relating to new Model Providers
> for Sesame, Jena, and Redland (all of which offer SQL DBMS and Graph
> Model persistence  APIs).

Okay, I guess I'm just not clever enough to realize what anything you all have
been doing with those systems has anything to do with what we're doing?

>  I am trying to determine if  we've ended up with  two things that are
> artificially disconnected :-)

Only under a robust, extensive set of assumptions that I guarantee "we" do not
share. :>

Cheers,
Kendall