Re: ANN: myOntology Prototype Available

Peter Krantz wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@uibk.ac.at
> <mailto:martin.hepp@uibk.ac.at>> wrote:
>

>     The main problem is that we want to create and maintain a central
>     starting point and namespace for the lots of concept definitions in
>     the Web that have no real home - having dozens of myOntology
>     installations around may collide with this aim.
>

> Ah. My idea with such a tool was the complete opposite. By making it
> easier to install it locally more ontologies could be created and
> published on the web. From the screenshots it looks like a perfect
> candidate. I sincerely hope that you will be able to release it under an
> OSS license.

Yep. Being central is something often achieved best by being very useful
not by source code restrictions, I'd suggest [without formal proof]. And
sharing the sourcecode under liberal license is one way of earning
community trust. We see plenty of Jena, Redland, etc apps and no serious
attempts at forking the codebase.

Now unless the ontologies created through myOntology are all going to be
at the same domain, you're already dealing with a distributed system. It
should be possible nevertheless to offer a unified view of what's going
on; but to do this well you'll need to integrate with data from the
various SemWeb crawlers. And they're of course within their rights to
offer their own "single point of access" overview of the deployed state
of semantic web vocabularies. And the more the merrier, I think. If it's
useful it will find a central role. Probably a better analogy than Jena
and Redland for these purposes is the new microblogging service
http://identi.ca ... which is opensource (http://laconi.ca) and can be
federated... I suggest keeping an eye on that project.

cheers,

Dan

--
http://danbri.org/