Re: objects to facts to links to LOD to ???

On 16.12.2008, at 17:27, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> Knud et al,
>
> I think Ravinder has started the process of fixing the current
> Semantic Web layer cake :-) Which is a very good thing (imho, but
> not seeking a Layer Cake discussion explosion).

I'd rather say his proposal (objects->facts->links->...) is
complementary to the current SW layer cake. It shows what is going on
conceptually, whereas the current SW cake (which I agree probably
needs to be fixed) is more of a technology stack. An interesting paper
I read related to this is:

A. Gerber, A. van der Merwe, and A. Barnard. A functional Semantic Web
architecture. In Proceedings of the 5th European Semantic Web
Conference (ESWC2008), Tenerife, Spain, pages 273–287. Springer, June
2008.

> The tricky part is the interchangeable nature of "Discovery" and
> "Trust" in any such scheme layer-wise. For instance, do "Discovery"
> and "Trust" occupy Layers 4, 5 or either ? We ultimately want to
> reason against trusted data sources, but the serendipity quotient of
> discovery is a key factor re. the dynamic nature of "trusted sources".
>
> Since I am clearly thinking and writing (aloud) at the same time, I
> would suggest:
>
> Layer 4 - Discovery (with high Serendipity Quotient)
> Layer 5 - Trust (albeit inherently volatile)
>
> Kingsley

I'm not sure discovery and trust belong in this stack at all. Not that
I don't think they are extremely important, but what I see in
Ravinder's stack is a description of the nature of data on the SW. Of
course, what I see might not be what he intended! :) The next layer
should describe how the data is different from the previous layers. As
I pointed out in a previous mail, I think this difference could be in
inferenced data vs. explicit data.

Cheers,
Knud
Knud Möller, MA
+353 - 91 - 495086
Smile Group: http://smile.deri.ie
Digital Enterprise Research Institute
   National University of Ireland, Galway
Institiúid Taighde na Fiontraíochta Digití
   Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh