Re: objects to facts to links to LOD to ???

On 12/16/08 10:44 AM, Knud Hinnerk Möller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure about the discovery part - that seems to be more a
> meta-layer with data describing linked datasets (VoiD [1]). However, I
> agree that inference would have to be in layer 4 and up. Things like
> non-explicit object consolidation, vocabulary and ontology mapping,
> etc. will be necessary to integrate the data even beyond the point of
> explicit links.
>
> @ravinder: I like the three layers you propose - is there a reference
> for that, or did you come up with it just now? I'd love to reference
> it in my PhD thesis!
>
> Cheers,
> Knud
Knud et al,

I think Ravinder has started the process of fixing the current Semantic
Web layer cake :-) Which is a very good thing (imho, but not seeking a
Layer Cake discussion explosion).

The tricky part is the interchangeable nature of "Discovery" and "Trust"
in any such scheme layer-wise. For instance, do "Discovery" and "Trust"
occupy Layers 4, 5 or either ? We ultimately want to reason against
trusted data sources, but the serendipity quotient of discovery is a key
factor re. the dynamic nature of "trusted sources".

Since I am clearly thinking and writing (aloud) at the same time, I
would suggest:

Layer 4 - Discovery (with high Serendipity Quotient)
Layer 5 - Trust (albeit inherently volatile)

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen