Re: Vocabulary browser requested

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 14:28:36 +0000
To: Philipp Heim <heim@interactivesystems.info>
Cc: Andreas Langegger <al@jku.at>, Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>, public-lod@w3.org, "Michael Lang(Jr.)" <michaelallenlang@gmail.com>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, Greg Milbank <gregmilbank@revelytix.com>

Philipp Heim wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> we are currently working on a RDF browser that supports user's
> understanding of available properties for further exploration. We call
> our browser gFacet because of the combination of graph-based
> visualization and faceted filtering techniques. If you are interested
> have a look at www.gFacet.org <http://www.gFacet.org>
>
> The demo on the webpage is limited to a dummy dataset but we are working
> on a version that allows browsing dbpedia.
>
> I look forward to get your opinion!

This is really very nice! I'm not sure such general interfaces will ever
  work for all mainstream Web users, but there is a huge audience
approximated by "MS Access users" for whom this should be a good fit.

What it does remind me of (conceptually not visually), is the design
behind http://mqlx.com/~david/parallax/ in which you navigate through
sets of things rather than individuals. I wonder if you could explore
the same example 'query' in both this and Parallax (whether using
DBPedia data or Freebase data...).

cheers,

Dan

--