Re: Datatypes

From: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:57:04 -0700
To: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>
CC: Tony Hammond <tony.hammond@gmail.com>, Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto@gmuer.ch>, semantic-web@w3.org

Seaborne, Andy wrote:
> Re:
> info:java/com/example/package#Class
>
> Using #Class seems unnecessary - more javadoc-like would be java/com/example/package/Class#member and inner classes are .../class1/class2.

Andy,

It all depends on the use case. Javadoc was created to document
packages, methods, and members, so it prefers to reference finer-grained
things.

In a semantic description context (such as in RDF), though, it makes
more sense to treat packages like namespaces, classes like resources,
and members like resource properties. That would give us something like
this:

<rdf:RDF
  xmlns:package="info:java/com/example/package#",
  xmlns:property="http://ploop.org/namespaces/property#"

  <package:Class>
    <property:member>My value assigned to
com.example.package.Class.member.</property:member>
  </package:Class>
</rdf:RDF>

See http://www.ploop.org/ to see where I'm going with this.

Garret