Re: Datatypes

Garret Wilson wrote:
> Seaborne, Andy wrote:
>> Re: info:java/com/example/package#Class
>>
>> Using #Class seems unnecessary - more javadoc-like would be
>> java/com/example/package/Class#member and inner classes are
>> .../class1/class2.
>>

> Andy,
>
> It all depends on the use case. Javadoc was created to document
> packages, methods, and members, so it prefers to reference
> finer-grained things.
>
> In a semantic description context (such as in RDF), though, it makes
> more sense to treat packages like namespaces, classes like resources,
> and members like resource properties.
I think that in a semantic description context all relevant resources
should be addressable, this is at least Classes and Methods, they are
both appropriate subjects for adding properties describing them.
Probably it would also be useful to have a Class (owl:Class rdfs:Class)
for packages.
> That would give us something like this:
>
> <rdf:RDF
>  xmlns:package="info:java/com/example/package#",
>  xmlns:property="http://ploop.org/namespaces/property#"
> >
>  <package:Class>
>    <property:member>My value assigned to
> com.example.package.Class.member.</property:member>
>  </package:Class>
> </rdf:RDF>
I'm not seeing what the literal "My value assigned to
com.example.package.Class.member." is supposed to be, what if just want
to express that a certain class has a certain method? What happens if
two methods have the same name (but a different signature)?

I don't think that it makes sense to model a method as a particular kind
of property and a JavaClass as a class of resources: Why should
different JavaClass-Resources have the same type of property if they
happen to have a method with the same name (what's the rdfs:domain of
property:member)? In your example, what's represented by the anonymous
node of type package:Class, an concrete instance of
com.example.package.Class?

reto

--
Reto Bachmann-Gmür
Talis Information Limited

Book your free place now at Talis Insight 2007 www.talis.com/insight
Find out more about Talis at www.talis.com
Shared InovationTM

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information Ltd.