Re: rdf standards? (flikr wrappers)

From: Yves Raimond <yves.raimond@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:54:35 +0100
To: "Richard Cyganiak" <richard@cyganiak.de>
Cc: "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>, "Chris Bizer" <chris@bizer.de>, "Dave Beckett" <dave@dajobe.org>, "Karl Dubost" <karl@w3.org>, "Renato Golin" <renato@ebi.ac.uk>, "Semantic Web" <semantic-web@w3.org>, "Christian Becker" <chris@christianhbecker.com>

Hello!

> >       #i   foaf:pubs <pubs>.
> >       foaf:pubs   link:pageWithSatementsUsingPredicate   foaf:made.
> >
> >       #i   ex:pics    <http://.... flickrwrapper....>.
> >
> > There is getting to be so much data in some cases the tabulator is
> > going to need some bulk data handling smarts!
>
> Couldn't the same be achieved by using rdfs:seeAlso instead of
> foaf:pubs or ex:pics?

Well, the thing is that you will follow the rdfs:seeAlso links even if
you are not interested in what the documents they point to holds --
you have no way to specify "follow this seeAlso link for getting more
foaf:made statements, and this other one to get more ex:pics ones", so
you will get into the same sort of tabulator-getting-crazy issues :)

We need to deal with large audio-related RDF that is computed
on-demand, in my lab, and this was an issue we had to deal with.
The simplest thing we came with was the following (for the foaf:made example)
dereferencing #i gives, among others:

#i foaf:made ex:publication

then, dereferencing ex:publication gives:

#i foaf:made <pub1>.
#i foaf:made <pub2>.
#i foaf:made <pubN>.
ex:publication owl:sameAs <pub1>.

Therefore, the list of publications is accessed only when it is needed.

Best,
Yves