Re: A new Semantic Web logo?

From: Renato Golin <renato@ebi.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:35:56 +0100
CC: semantic-web@w3.org

Dan Brickley wrote:
> Re usage and the idea of "disparage" in
>
> "The logo may not be used to disparage W3C, its Member organizations,
> services, or products.",
>
> here's a concrete test case: do you consider
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/danbri/428172848/ as disparaging W3C
> products, services etc? I just think it's funny and honest, but I can
> see how it might be read that way.

Dear Dan.

Fortunately this falls in the "fair use" for comedy and cannot be
prosecuted under the copyright law, even if you have such a restrictive
license. To be funny and honest still is the right of every human being.

You would have to go to "public image" damages (or whatever it is in US)
and ask for a compensation and/or public apology, which I believe anyone
in his/her own mind would do it.

cheers,
--renato

--
Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at