Re: Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language updated

On 3 Oct 2007, at 12:59, Story Henry wrote:

> Ok. Sorry to have muddied the waters with talk about behavior of
> "=" depending on its posititon. Those are two completely different
> issues.
>
> One could have the same hint for owl:sameAs
>
> me foaf:knows [ owl:sameAs </joe>;
>                 foaf:name "Joe" ] .
>
> So the worry cannot be with the "=" sign itself.

I would not want a *parser* to delete the blank node in *either*
case. I certainly wouldn't want a converter (e.g., to RDF/XML) to do
so. Turtle is designed around there being this one to one mapping. I
can well imagine successor languages introducing all sorts of useful
constructs. I think if you want to be able to have "object" nodes be
"subject" nodes in the very same expression, then you should
introduce fresh syntax for that, FWIW. In general, cute things like
that can come back to bite you in the buttocks later ;)

> The = sign is used a lot and is easy to understand for people
> coming from different languages.

As an abbreviation for sameAs, I'm relatively indifferent.

Cheers,
Bijan.