Re: vCard RDF compromises

From: Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:55:58 +0200
To: semantic-web@w3.org

On Wednesday 27 June 2007, Harry Halpin wrote:
> The two opposing
> viewpoints are that ordering contraints are not useful and make any
> querying and conversion of common vCard/hCards messy (thus Norm's
> simplication of the previous vCard spec), while the other feels that
> everything must be in a List.

I think this is the crucial point. It is very important that querying
this model is pretty straightforward. If this is to see adoption and be
a real alternative to fragmented non-semweb tools, the SPARQL queries
that people would use should be as simple as possible (but not
simpler).

I would guess that while relatively few would create RDF (either by hand
or be the ones to create the tools), many would be interested in
creating various applications that use the data, so simplicity of
SPARQL queries might therefore be more important than simplicity in the
actual vocabulary.

Also, I think it is important that we do not forget that hcard has
received some adoption, and that it needs to be in the round-trip loop
too.

In my experience rdf:Lists causes complex queries, but if anybody has
some extra time, it would be nice to see some example SPARQL queries
that results from the different approaches.

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer