Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:20:23 -0500
To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@bestweb.net>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@ontolog.cim3.net>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com>, SW-forum list <semantic-web@w3.org>, semantic_web@googlegroups.com

>Pat,
>
>I agree that the proof box is misplaced, but I think
>that the major problem is that the logic box is not
>correctly positioned.
>
>>  http://www.w3.org/2007/03/layerCake.png
>
>PH> Hmm, I wonder why the 'Proof' Tetris piece has
>>  a connection to Rule without going through Unifying
>>  Logic.  That seems like a very bad decision to me
>
>Unifying Logic is the framework that includes the others
>as subsets:  RDF, RDF-S, Rule RIF, OWL, and SPARQL.
>
>Each of these subsets is tailored for a specific kind of
>inference engine and/or a specific range of uses.  What
>unifies them is the common model-theoretic semantics.
>That semantics enables all of them to interoperate on
>shared data and produce consistent results.

Thats what I would expect, yes. And I know the overall picture. What
surprised me was the fact that there seems to be a special
short-circuit allowing Rules to connect to Proof without taking the
Logic into account. Which in turn suggests a special dispensation for
Rules to avoid having to have a common semantics with everything
else. As I know there are, as the popular media says, Powerful Forces
in the Rules meta-community which would approve of short-circuiting
conventional semantics altogether in favor of, say, some version of
Prolog, I am slightly concerned that this peculiar kink in the layer
cake has been put there deliberately to make it possible to do an
end-run around a unifying logic. Which when one takes into account
the whole point of "Unifying", would IMO be a pity.

Pat

>My suggestion would be to draw the Unifying Logic box as
>a large container that includes all the others inside:
>RDF, RDF-S, Rule RIF, OWL, and SPARQL.

The layer-cake display has become a kind of W3C icon now.

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell