Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

From: John F. Sowa <sowa@bestweb.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:24:04 -0400
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
CC: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@ontolog.cim3.net>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com>, SW-forum list <semantic-web@w3.org>, semantic_web@googlegroups.com

Pat,

I agree that the proof box is misplaced, but I think
that the major problem is that the logic box is not
correctly positioned.

 > http://www.w3.org/2007/03/layerCake.png

PH> Hmm, I wonder why the 'Proof' Tetris piece has
 > a connection to Rule without going through Unifying
 > Logic.  That seems like a very bad decision to me

Unifying Logic is the framework that includes the others
as subsets:  RDF, RDF-S, Rule RIF, OWL, and SPARQL.

Each of these subsets is tailored for a specific kind of
inference engine and/or a specific range of uses.  What
unifies them is the common model-theoretic semantics.
That semantics enables all of them to interoperate on
shared data and produce consistent results.

My suggestion would be to draw the Unifying Logic box as
a large container that includes all the others inside:
RDF, RDF-S, Rule RIF, OWL, and SPARQL.

John