Re: Can you query rdf:List easily? (WAS Re: update on vCard edits and The Compromise)

Danny Ayers wrote:

>> The family, given, additional properties are for pieces of full names.
>
> Ok, I see from
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2426#section-3.1.2
> it's a structured value, which it appears Norm reflected:
>
> Name
>     given-name
>     family-name
>     additional-name
>
>> Norm restricted cardinality to 1 on these,
>
> How so?
>
> and so chose the first
>> approach. I strongly supported this move.
>
> Assuming the cardinality was restricted to 1, it wouldn't be possible
> to represent all vCards using this vocab since RFC2426 says: "Each
> component can have multiple values."

Clearly this perspective would advocate some practical interpretation of
the vCard spec, rather than following it precisely.

I see absolutely no practical value to doing:

 vcard:givenName ("John" "Paul")

... over:

 vcard:givenName "John Paul"

Garret disagrees.

>> Two doesn't work.
>
> Name
>     given-name
>     family-name
>     additional-name
>     additional-name
>
> I don't see why not, the Name node is acting as a quasi-container.

But the names are ordered. E.g. in my example above I presume the person
in question would go by "John Paul" rather than "Paul John".

>> Garret wants to allow something like the third approach.
>
> This seems unnecessary, multiple values are possible without there
> being a container or collection.

Indeed, but not if they're ordered.

>> This discussion is all about resolving this question.
>
> I'd be tempted to make vCard/RDF follow vCard closely and use other
> vocabs/structures where the modelling doesn't seem right.
>
> But anyhow I'd better duck out - I still can't face reading the dozens
> of earlier posts...

:-)

Bruce