Re: Cool URIs, the Semantic Web and Everything

Hi Michael, RDFa people,

The question is if httpRange-14 [2] is valid in the case of XHTML+RDFa.

The answer is that httpRange-14 is to distinguish URIs for information
resources ("web documents") from real-world objects (the person
"Alice"). As such, it is a recommendation on URIs.

RDFa is an encoding of RDF, and typically an RDFa document has two
relations to URIs:
a) the URI of the RDFa document (=the information resource where I can
download the RDFa document)
b) the URIs used as subjects, predicates, objects inside RDF statements
written inside RDFa documents

a) is usually a http-200 uri, and a) is an information resource (= a
document).
In the rdf statemetns written inside  A, you would use both URIs for
real-world objects and information resources.
example (I don't know  rdfa syntax by heart now, assume this is rdfa):

document at www.example.com/homepage/aboutAlice
  rdf:type foaf:Person.
 rdf:type foaf:Person

assuming this would be valid RDFa, the URI .../aboutAlice is a
http-return-200 informaiton resource
..../alice#this is a real-world object as it is not a document (as I
understand timbl on that)
....303/bob is not intuitively distinguishable - if you ignore the
rdf:type relation you don't know what it is. So for this uri you do a
HTTP get and the server would return a 303 redirect as described in
"cool uris".
once oyu did the 303, you knowthat ....303/bob is a real world object.

so RDFa and 303'/httprange14 are recommendations caring about different
angles, 303 is only concerned about URIs, RDFa about an RDF
serialization. Technically they don't interfere.

If I would use RDFa much and would like cool uris, I would go for
#-uris, they are simple to use and easy to embed in RDFa.
but as shown above, you can use any URI you want inside rdfa.

best
Leo