Re: What is a semantic web application

Ehsan Sadeghi wrote:
>  If a system uses RDF or an agent system or an ontology does that make
> it a semantic web application? or a semantic web application is an
> application that creates a network of logically connected data/resource
> with any means? lets say with a database.

Dear Ehsan,

Far from being an expert, my view is that whenever you start using
semantic data (RDF, OWL, etc) you already have a "semantic web"
application. This is because you probably have chosen to use semantic
data to connect things easier in the first place.

I mean, using RDF does not imply to have your data fully connected but
ease future connections to be made at a level that is the same as having
"2" in one side and "2" in the other you just have to put the "="
between them (if you want).

The big deal of RDF/XML against, lets say, XSD/XML (the 'normal' XML) is
that RDF can use the same vocabulary for many things and even using
different vocabularies they can be automatically merged.

In the case of the XSD/XML, if you don't use the same schema (XSD) you
need to build one program for each conversion between two XSDs. So if
you have three schemas you need 3 programs, 4 schemas need 6 programs
and so on. On the other hand, the same program reads any RDF in the world.

The drawback is that RDF is so generic (to allow such marvellous
features) that it's almost impossible to work with large sets of RDF as
you do with relational databases. It's like having only one table with
three fields: subject, predicate, object and using a SELECT statement to
retrieve information from it. It's just impractical.

Some RDF engines came to help, indexing in a different way but still
performance is the worst part of RDF and (in my humble opinion) the
reason for RDF (much older) not being as accepted as XSD in the industry
today.

hope that helps,
--renato