Re: resources for network-based/hierarchical RDF store

Hi Andy,

While not network or hierarchical, the Mulgara database (http://
mulgara.org/) was written from the ground up to take RDF data and
nothing else.  The database used to be called Kowari, and before that
it was a commercial system called TKS (Tucana Knowledge Store).

To describe it briefly....

Mulgara does OK on 32 bit systems, but it scales really well on 64
bit systems.  All joins are evaluated lazily, which removes memory
limits, and complex queries don't cause any problems.  We have been
slow getting SPARQL supported (though some simple SPARQL queries
already work) but we support our own query language that predates
SPARQL by several years and offers several more features.  These
features include extra join operations, and insert/delete commands.
There is also an SPI for plugging any kind of external data source in
as a supplemental back-end.

We went through a quiet period after the company that started the
original project shut down, but the project has been actively moving
ahead for the past year, with a few new features and a lot of bug fixes.

Regards,
Paul Gearon