resources for network-based/hierarchical RDF store

From: Andreas Langegger <andreas.langegger@gmx.at>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:30:16 +0200
To: semantic-web@w3.org

Dear group members,

most of currently available RDF triple store implementations (Jena,
3store, sesame, etc.) use relational database systems as the underlying
information system. Well, I guess this is because they are well known,
have proven to scale and perform, you get existing features for data
management, indexing, transactions, etc. and can use existing tools.

However, are there any resources (papers/projects/links/...) where RDF
storage in network/hierarchical databases is investigated? Would there
be benefits?

The bottlenecks with RDBMS are either huge joins over the same table =>
memory problem for large datasets or complex query processing which at
the moment has to be done in the higher app level. There should be
better support inside the DBMS in future like special join operations.

If sb has pointers or comments, I'd appreciate!

best regards,

- --
Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Langegger
Institute for Applied Knowledge Processing
Johannes Kepler University Linz
A-4040 Linz, Altenberger Straße 69
> http://www.faw.at
> http://www.langegger.at