Re: Re[2]: AW: Content negotiation flamewar (was: Re: "Hash URIs" and content negotiation)

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:29:30 +0100
Cc: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Max Voelkel <voelkel@fzi.de>

On 13 Nov 2006, at 22:48, Max Voelkel wrote:

>> Which brings us back to the start of the thread: If http://
>> example.com/resources#Bob is a non-information resource, how to
>> correctly serve both HTML and RDF descriptions?
> No problem.
>
>> The problem is that
>> the semantics of a fragment identifier depend on the content type. I
>> wonder if this means we also have to do a 303 at http://example.com/
>> resources before we can serve a description of #Bob.
>
> As defined in the URI spec, we send only the URI http://example.com/
> resources
> (of course using content-negotiation). So if we are a browser, we
> get back HTML,
> scroll down to "#Bob", if defined, done.
> If  we  are a semantic web agent, we Accept: application/rdf+xml
> and get back an
> RDF/XML  file.  We  parse  it an look up statements about bob. We
> can ignore all
> other statements which are not directly or indirectly connected to
> bob.

OK. Wouldn't that leave us with an ambiguity as to what #Bob is? The
meaning of a fragment identifier depends on the content type.
Depending on what we asked for, #Bob could be a part of an HTML
document, or #Bob could be something that according to authoritative
RDF statements is a person.

If we answer 303 if asked for HTML, then the server essentially says,
"Sorry, I can't give you an HTML representation of http://example.com/
resources (because then you could wrongly conclude that #Bob is a
part of an HTML document), but over there is another resource that
might be relevant to your request."

Richard