Re[2]: AW: Content negotiation flamewar (was: Re: "Hash URIs" and content negotiation)

From: Max Voelkel <voelkel@fzi.de>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:48:06 +0100
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

> Which brings us back to the start of the thread: If http://
> example.com/resources#Bob is a non-information resource, how to
> correctly serve both HTML and RDF descriptions?
No problem.

> The problem is that
> the semantics of a fragment identifier depend on the content type. I
> wonder if this means we also have to do a 303 at http://example.com/
> resources before we can serve a description of #Bob.

As defined in the URI spec, we send only the URI http://example.com/resources
(of course using content-negotiation). So if we are a browser, we get back HTML,
scroll down to "#Bob", if defined, done.
If  we  are a semantic web agent, we Accept: application/rdf+xml and get back an
RDF/XML  file.  We  parse  it an look up statements about bob. We can ignore all
other statements which are not directly or indirectly connected to bob.

Kind Regards,
Max Völkel (http://Xam.de)
Forschungszentrum Informatik (fzi.de)
job: +49 721 9654-854 | mobil: +49 171 8359678