RE: Showing the Semantic Web

Danny Ayers wrote:

[...]
> The question "where are the applications?" has been historically
> hard to answer in part because of the general focus on developing
> infrastructure, and a large proportion of systems are very
> general-purpose tools (APIs, stores etc) rather than actual
> applications in themselves. But I'm pretty sure there is now a
> convincing array of 'true' applications out there, though still
> can't really answer the question :-(
[...]

In trying to generate interest in, and get help with, such an
"application" (namely B2B News), I've found minimal interest on this
list.  I believe that NewsML 2 is the most important "application"
to enter the Semantic Web arena.  It is a shame that only the News
industry is interested in the challenges and opportunities.

<wears flame retardant suit>
Most mails on this list seem to be either plugs for events/journals
or quite abstract arguments.  With a few notable exceptions, there
seems to be little interest in anything practical.
</wears flame retardant suit>

Misha Wolf
News Standards Manager, Reuters, www.reuters.com
Chair, News Metadata Framework WG, IPTC, www.iptc.org/dev
Vice-Chair, NewsML 2 Architecture WP, IPTC, www.iptc.org/dev

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.