Re: Showing the Semantic Web

Micha--

I hope you don't consider this reply has requiring a flame retardant
suit, but I have to make some comments about your post (some of which I
expect will also apply to further comments on this thread).

First, I've reviewed some of your past email on NewsML.  It seems to me
that, to the extent you explicitly asked for help, you got it (I recall
a reification question;  were there others?).  As far as generating
interest in NewsML, how clear do you think you've been in explaining why
it ought to be of *general* interest, not just of interest to those
interested in "news"?  The argument that this is of general interest
certainly hasn't been clear to me (my father was a newspaperman, so I
*am* interested in news), and may not have been clear to others either.
  Why don't you explain a little more (in particular, say why you think
NewsML is the most important application to enter the Semantic Web
arena), if you think it's that worthwhile as a matter of general interest?

Second, what kinds of discussions do you consider "practical" for this
list?  I ask this question because I would expect that some kinds of
very practical discussions relating to applications of this technology
might not take place on lists like this at all.  One example is
presumably your own work.  I understand that you have a NewsML 2 list,
and I imagine most of the detailed discussion takes place there.  That
makes sense doesn't it?  Similarly, in the RDF Primer I mentioned the
CIM/XML (it's RDF, despite the name) specification that the power system
industry uses to exchange various kinds of data.  Like your own list,
they have a yahoogroups list, and active discussions go on there.  But
those discussions don't generally involve elementary questions about how
to do stuff in RDF, but are instead about various aspects of the models
themselves (like why is the containment relationship between a power
transformer and a substation modeled the way it is).  That sort of stuff
is less likely to be of interest to people on this list than more
general questions (unless they are also electrical engineers).  I expect
there are other specialized applications where similar considerations hold.

BTW, the last paragraph suggests a possible distinction between "an
application of Semantic Web technology" and "a Semantic Web
application".  CIM/XML is an RDF application, hence it's an application
of Semantic Web technology.  However, as far as I know, this data
doesn't appear on the Web, and probably isn't intended to (and if some
of it did appear on the Web, national security interests might suggest
removing it!), so it might not be considered a Semantic Web application.
  (However, I did say "*possible* distinction", and CIM/XML applications
keep getting extended, so publication of some kinds of this data might
be reasonable).

Finally, in a separate post, you asked "what is an RDF application?".
While I have nothing to do with DOAP, my entirely unofficial opinion,
for what it's worth, is that what you described counts as an RDF
application.  It seems to me that if you have a notation, and a
well-defined transformation from that notation to RDF, then what you've
defined is, whatever else it might be, simply a non-RDF/XML notation for
RDF.  After all, what's RDF/XML?  It's an XML notation with a defined
tranformation from that notation to RDF.  There just happens to be a W3C
spec for it.

--Frank