RE: How will the semantic web emerge

From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:39:46 -0800
To: "Frank Manola" <fmanola@acm.org>
Cc: "Henry Story" <henry.story@bblfish.net>, <semantic-web@w3.org>

> Sounds like Phil Bernstein's model management work, right?  Good
stuff.

Exactly!  It's a nice piece of work; no doubt the basic ideas will see
wider deployment in the future.

> What do you see as the problem with rdf:type?  The need to identify a
> specific type at all (which implies a set of types somewhere which

I call it my RDF "litmus test".  I think "rdf:type is optional, and at
best a hint".  It's the same sort of issues we had with XSD -- what is
the boundary where XSD is useful?  XSD for validation is fine.  XSD as a
type system is going too far.

[0] http://www.netcrucible.com/blog/My+RDF+Litmus+Test.aspx