Re: How will the semantic web emerge

From: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:53:36 +0100
Cc: "Frank Manola" <fmanola@acm.org>, <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>

All I see is a re-statement of an opinion on your litmus test page.
Not a backing of it.
I have not followed the XSD problem. But there is a difference with
OWL ontologies in that they
machine readable descriptions   can easily be placed at the other end
of the URL which identifies your class.

So

[ a foaf:Person;
   foaf:mbox <mailto:me@eg.com>;
].

Is a useful statement it seems to me. If you retrieve http://
xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person
with the application/xml+rdf mime type then you will get a machine
readable description of the
type. I don't think it is that easy with xsd (but am happy to be
corrected).

Anyway, it helps to know that I am dealing with a foaf:Person not a
foaf:Agent. In rdf every
statement is optional of course. But that does not meant they are not
useful.

Henry