From: Scott Cantor [mailto:cantor.2@osu.edu]
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 10:29 AM
To: Pratik Datta; XMLSec WG Public List
Subject: RE: ACTION-580: Removing c14n2.0 options ignoreDTD and expandEntities

> For my ACTION-580
>
> As we discussed in the meeting, the input to C14n 2.0 is a list of
subtrees.
> Unlike C14N 1.x, it is not defined for an octet stream. So I am planning
> add this text in the end of section 2.1
>
> "Note: Unlike Canonical XML 1.0, which needs to work in the transform
chain
> and have the ability to input an octet stream or a nodeset and output an
> octet stream,  Canonical XML 2.0 does not have this requirement. Its input
> is always a list of included and excluded subtrees."

I'd suggest avoiding any references to signature constructs like a transform
chain, and just say:

"Note: Canonical XML 2.0, unlike earlier versions, does not support direct
input of an octet stream. The transformation of such a stream into the input
model required by this specification is application-specific and should be
defined in specifications that reference or make use of this one."

-- Scott