RE: ACTION-580: Removing c14n2.0 options ignoreDTD and expandEntities

From: Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:29:27 -0400
To: "'Pratik Datta'" <pratik.datta@oracle.com>, "'XMLSec WG Public List'" <public-xmlsec@w3.org>
> For my ACTION-580
>
> As we discussed in the meeting, the input to C14n 2.0 is a list of
subtrees.
> Unlike C14N 1.x, it is not defined for an octet stream. So I am planning
> add this text in the end of section 2.1
>
> "Note: Unlike Canonical XML 1.0, which needs to work in the transform
chain
> and have the ability to input an octet stream or a nodeset and output an
> octet stream,  Canonical XML 2.0 does not have this requirement. Its input
> is always a list of included and excluded subtrees."

I'd suggest avoiding any references to signature constructs like a transform
chain, and just say:

"Note: Canonical XML 2.0, unlike earlier versions, does not support direct
input of an octet stream. The transformation of such a stream into the input
model required by this specification is application-specific and should be
defined in specifications that reference or make use of this one."

-- Scott