ECDSA, "plain" vs "non-plain"

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 19:18:24 +0200
To: XMLSec WG Public List <public-xmlsec@w3.org>
Cc: Konrad Lanz <konrad.lanz@iaik.tugraz.at>
To put this into the public record...  I asked some security folks at
the IETF; their comment was that there is no known security difference
between the two variants, which is useful to confirm.

For the ECDSA algorithms that we define so far, we actually *don't*
use the ASN.1 sequence, in other words, we're going for the "plain"
alternative anyway.  That, to me, suggests that we only coin
identifiers for the "plain" variants of ECDSA-RIPEMD160 (and -
whirlpool), and dont bother with the non-plain ones.

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core1/#sec-ECDSA

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>