Re: V.next: attribute value templates

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
> Innovimax W3C <innovimax+w3c@gmail.com> writes:
>> I don't think they are so uncontroversial than that
>>
>> In XSLT or XQuery, the context is define EVERYWHERE
>
> That's not true. It's undefined in xsl:function.
>
>> But in XProc we made some shortcut to keep things simple to explains
>>
>> I fear that AVT will reopen this can of worm
>
> You might be right, but I think we can say that the context is the
> (first?) document from the default readable port and that it's an
> error if an expression attempts to refer to the context when there is
> no such port.

Seems interesting but it also mean that each time someone uses AVT,
there is a NEW connection to the default readable port and there will
be a need to dynamically verify that the XPath uses the context or
not.

Another option is to says that the context is always empty and if you
need to access some content you need to use the long form
(p:with-option select="...") and the AVT are there only to allow you
to do XPath that doesn't access the context (variables, computations,
string manipulations)

Mohamed