RE: Extensibility of c:result

From: <Toman_Vojtech@emc.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:26:14 -0400
To: <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>
The content-model of c:result is overloaded already in the XProc specification itself: see the p:exec step. For text output with wrap-result-lines=true, it produces the following result:

But I don't think the content model of c:result is defined anywhere in the spec (and I am not sure it is a good idea to do that. IMHO, it is just a wrapper with no special meaning). Section 7 (Standard Step Library) says that: "…several steps use this element for result information:

but I read this more as a hint of what to expect from a typical standard XProc step.

I remember raising this long time ago but I think the conclusion of the WG was that this not really an issue.

For EXProc, my opinion is that we can just fix the problem of distinguishing between a successful/unsuccessful c:result easily by saying that if you use fail-on-error=false, you get an c:error document, and not a c:result document. Or something like that.