Extensibility of c:result

From: Innovimax SARL <innovimax@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:05:12 +0200
To: XProc WG <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>
Dear,

I think this is the right place for that discussion

We use for the moment c:result in many places in the spec, but the way it is
used is not extensible

The content is most of the time a single string as a direct child

I know we moved on from attribute because it was hard to get the infomation
from it, but could we better go for an extra wrapper ?

<c:result>
  <uri>http://....</uri>
</c:result>

I'm saying this because I already see some problem of using c:result for
example when there is an error or not (in exproc pxf:copy) : we should be
able to make the difference between those two

Of course, we could expect that if we will need extension then we will add
an extra attribute to c:result, like @version=2 telling that you will need
special care about the content, but it will make existing pipeline non
conformant

The second point, is that a conformant implementation might need to output
extra information using it's own namespace and that would not be possible
(unless using attribute which is pretty limited)

Mohamed

--
Innovimax SARL
Consulting, Training & XML Development