Re: PSVI issues

Norman Walsh writes:

> By which you mean, you'll write

> And any impl. that don't support PSVI annotations will simply refuse
> to execute it. Yes?

Yes.

> | 3) Having said that, I think it _does_ make sense to provide a means
> |    for pipeline authors to do something at runtime depending on PSVI
> |    support.  But I think the minimum necessary to declare victory is
> |    just psvi-available(), which if true means the processor claims
> |    it's passing PSVI information along.  No granularity or locality is
> |    implied, that is, the value should be the same at all times/places
> |    within a given episode.
>
> That's what I thought I wanted last week and I was convinced on the
> call that all I really wanted was psvi-supported(). Do you think
> that's no longer sufficient?

See example sent per Mohamed's request. . .

> |    b) Implementations SHOULD preserve PSVI properties across steps
> |       insofar as that is consistent with step semantics.  It is
> |       implementation-defined what PSVI properties it supports overall,
> |       and what PSVI properties are lost by what steps.
>
> I have mixed feelings. Consider p:delete. Does it make sense for that
> step to preserve PSVI properties on elements and attributes that it
> doesn't delete?

Good point.  We could consider saying "Implementations MUST ensure the
accuracy of the PSVI properties they preserve.  Since almost any
structural modifications may render any validation-related properties
inaccurate, implementations MAY discard all PSVI properties in the
output of structure-modifying steps (as an alternative to preserving
only those known to be unaffected)."

And "So, for example, it is implementation-defined whether a
PSVI-supporting processor preserves PSVI properties on the documents
passed to the subpipeline of p:viewport"

> Or maybe we could say that PSVI properites can only appear on the
> output of the validate steps, p:xslt, and p:xquery (and user-defined
> steps).

I'd hate to go there, but maybe we have no choice.

ht
- --
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk