Re: err:XS0022 & compound steps

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:42:34 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
/ Toman_Vojtech@emc.com was heard to say:
[...]

I really hate the subtlty of this.

| Hmm. Section 2.5 (Environment) says:
|
| "The union of all the declared outputs of all of the containers's
| contained steps are added to the readable ports"

That's the *inherited environment*. That's the environment that the
children steps get, it's not the environment that their parent
container gets.

| and Section 2.2 (Inputs and Outputs) says:
|
| "Within a compound step, the declared outputs of the step can be
| connected to:
|   - The output port of some contained step.
|   - ...
|
| So, to me it looks like the container has always access to the output of
| its children...

It does and it's the "In all cases except" clause that enables it.

I'm open to suggestions for how to make it clearer.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Any sufficiently advanced technology is
http://nwalsh.com/            | indistinguishable from a rigged demo.