Re: Scope of step types

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:37:41 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
/ Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk> was heard to say:
| Section 3.2:
|
|   The scope of the names of the step types is the union of all the
|   pipelines and pipeline libraries available directly or via p:import.
|
| So there is exactly one scope for all the step types in a pipeline run?
|
| For example, if a pipeline imports a library, and that library contains
| a pipeline, and that pipeline contains declare-step, then those steps
| are visible in the top-level pipeline?  And in other pipelines imported
| from it?

No, I don't think that was intended. How about

  The scope of the names of step types is the pipeline in which they occur.
  The in-scope names come from types that are:

    * Built-in to XProc (e.g., p:pipeline, p:choose, etc.)
    * Declared with p:declare-step (e.g, p:xslt, p:xinclude, etc.)
      in the pipeline or in a p:pipeline-library imported into the
      pipeline.
    * Defined with p:pipeline imported directly or in a p:pipeline-library
      imported into the pipeline.
    * Or built-in as extensions by a particular processor.

  All the step types in a pipeline must have unique names: it is a
  static error (err:XS0036) if any step type name is built-in and/or
  declared or defined more than once in the same scope.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Well-being is attained by little and
http://nwalsh.com/            | little, and nevertheless it is no