Re: p:label-elements builtin

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 00:22:52 +0100 (BST)
To: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>, public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

> | I disagree.  Not using a predictable algorithm in XSLT's generate-id()
> | is just for efficiency reasons, and is very inconvenient for users
> | (e.g. when comparing output from different XSLT processors, or even
> | different runs of the same XSLT processor).  I don't see any such
> | efficiency consideration in our case.

> The problem with sequential integers is that if you apply the step to
> two different documents and then "p:wrap" them together, you're
> basically guaranteed to have duplicates.
>
> My own implementation works hard to prevent this, so I'm in favor of
> retaining the "implementation dependent" flavor.

Um.  Having one implementation where you can rely on that doesn't seem
very useful: people will write pipelines that work in your
implementation and then find they don't work in others.  It's like
relying on argument evaluation order, or how a++ + a++ comes out in a
given C compiler.  If there's a need for non-duplication between
documents it should either be required or there should be a switch to
guarantee it.

-- Richard