Re: p:label-elements builtin

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 13:10:52 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
/ Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk> was heard to say:
|> >  2) Generate sequential integers, and default the 'prefix' option to
|> >     '_';
|
| Add "starting at 1, with no leading zeroes".
|
|> I find "integer" very limitative. It should be
|> "implementation-defined" as generate-id()
|
| I disagree.  Not using a predictable algorithm in XSLT's generate-id()
| is just for efficiency reasons, and is very inconvenient for users
| (e.g. when comparing output from different XSLT processors, or even
| different runs of the same XSLT processor).  I don't see any such
| efficiency consideration in our case.

The problem with sequential integers is that if you apply the step to
two different documents and then "p:wrap" them together, you're
basically guaranteed to have duplicates.

My own implementation works hard to prevent this, so I'm in favor of
retaining the "implementation dependent" flavor.

| It's also useful to be able to generate sequential purely numeric
| attributes by setting the prefix to "".

That's as may be. I won't feel bad if you can't do that with
p:label-elements.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Kinship is healing; we are physicians
http://nwalsh.com/            | to each other.--Oliver Sacks